National Taxpayer Advocate Nina E. Olson and Sen. Ben Cardin, a member of the Senate Committee on Finance, convened a public forum in Baltimore, Maryland, to discuss what taxpayers want and need from the IRS to comply with their tax obligations.
Approximately 30 people attended the forum, including, business owners, tax practitioners, and community based organizations. One panelist shared her personal experience in dealing with the IRS concerning an issue caused by her business’s fraudulent payroll service provider. The discussion brought to light the difficulties communicating with the IRS on complex tax issues and the need for face-to-face interaction.
Several of the panelists submitted written statements:
- Angela Armstrong (Administrator and Founder | Animal Emergency Hospital | Bel Air, MD)
- Elizabeth Atkinson (Attorney at Law | LeClairRyan, PC | Annapolis, MD)
- Adam Crandell (Attorney at Law | Law Office of Adam N. Crandell, LLC | Baltimore, MD)
- Robin McKinney (Director and Co-founder| Maryland CASH Campaign | Baltimore, MD)
- Beverly Winstead (Director | University of Maryland Carey School of Law LITC| Winstead Law Group, LLC | Laurel, MD)
More about the forum:
Comments regarding the Future State of the IRS may be submitted by email. Please do not send account-related questions to this email address.